• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

13kpatrick

Sergeant
10 Badges
Jun 29, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
I wanted to try a unique nation for my first AAR. I chose Switzerland, the neutral mountain nation in central Europe. My plans is to take Switzerland, which starts out with a very unstable economy, to an economic powerhouse. Due to the mountains, I will need to expand Switzerland to get better farmland. This may be a costly war effort, but I am sure that the result will be a great economy. I will then turn Switzerland into a world power and it shall be known in the world, and if I zoom out I will be able to see the word 'Switzerland' ;).

Part I: Swiss Expansion

Here is Switzerland in the beginning of the game, 1836.

V2_1.jpg

We have 24 thousand troops, a pretty powerful army. There are forts set up around Switzerland to secure their neutrality. I can see we will need railroads, so I start the research.

V2_2.jpg

I am not sure how railroads will work on mountains, but we will let the workers figure that one out. Our economy is rather stable in the beginning, but all of that will change as the game progresses.

http://s1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/13kpatrick/V2_3.jpg

I start to buy everything our economy will need to grow in the trade menu. The population craves tobacco, an expense we can't afford, but I buy it anyway because It is a necessity I think we will need.

V2_4.jpg

The expenses for all of the factory needs..and tobacco...pushes our economy overboard. I try to stabilize the economy, but it doesn't work out too well. I finally resort to raising taxes quite high, and imposing a 12 percent tariff. When I am forced to shut down our factories, surprisingly the economy shoots up. I spend all of our newly acquired money on the military, something will have to be done about our neighbor to the south as they possess good farming land.

V2_7.jpg

I start the invasion from all angles and mobilize our army, as we will need more troops. I'm sure the farmers pitchforks will prevail.

V2_8.jpg

We are forced to group together, though, as the enemy has to be able to win this. Aosta is surrounded with destruction as the war rages through. The Battle of Aosta decides the war as 25 thousand Swiss troops go against 21 thousand Sardinian troops.

V2_9.jpg

We win the initial battle and start taking land and pushing the Sardinians back. We win a series of battles as the Sardinians try to attack our troops. We have a defending advantage and I further my initial war goals.

V2_11.jpg

V2_12.jpg

The Sardinians cannot fight anymore, and neither can I. I offer them peace in exchange for everything I hoped to acquire. They accept peace and Switzerland grows.

V2_13.jpg

As you can see in the top left, the Swiss economy skyrockets as expected. To further the expanding economy, I demobilize and lower the military expenses. I start research of clean coal and Switzerland's economy becomes more stable. I repay all of my debts (Mostly to Great Britain) and the future becomes bright for the small nation of Switzerland.

To be continued...

That budget jump was probably because you pay less upkeep for your armies in peacetimes. Good start though, I also like to grab that state from Sardinia in my Switzerland games! :)

Will be interesting to see how you do. In my game as Switzerland I've finally managed to get Swiss on the map in 1900's. GP now in 1910's, and Pretty un stoppable now.

Hope you do well.

Thanks, I will need to get a port from Sardinia, It will get me a lot more money. I almost have everything I need to put the next part up, I'll put it up later. Its getting pretty good. I hope you enjoy! :)

PART 2: Industrialization and Economic Reconstruction

The war is over and Switzerland has expanded. We have three new provinces and a lot of debt likewise.

V2_14.jpg

Our factories are reopened and are making profit. I easily pay off all of the national debt and lower the taxes for everyone. I start investing the full amount of money into education and administration, unlike before where there was little investment in those. I also reduce the tariff to 0% and lower my military spending.

V2_15.jpg

With our extremely strong new economy, I start production of railroads across most of Switzerland. By June 19, 1842, many railroads are build across Switzerland, but they arent completely finished.

V2_16.jpg

Everybody starts to become rich and I start investing into full military spending once more so that the soldiers will be wealthy as well. I lower the tariffs to -5% to help the factories buy goods.

V2_17.jpg

By March 1843, more railroads are built and Switzerland becomes even more industrialized.

V2_18.jpg

Finally, almost exactly a year later in March 1844, my pursuit for a nation completely connected by railroads is complete. My upgraded railroad research is also half way done.

V2_19.jpg

Here is the world in 1844 -

V2_MAP_SWI_1844322_1.jpg

In the next part Switzerland will continue the pursuit for a more industrialized nation and we will look outwards in hopes to gain a port. Sardinia is weak from the first war and they may be a prime target, the only problem is we are both in the SoI of France. We will find a way to deal with this and Switzerland will stay on the path to be a powerful nation.

The next part is going to be really good! ;)

Reminds me of a map of a "Greater Switzerland" I recently came across. Some in the "Schweizer Volkspartei" have been flirting with the idea of welcoming Baden-Württemberg (fellow Allemans) and other bordering regions into the confederation. LOL, apparently not busy enough with EU- and Minaret-bashing these days.

Personally, I wouldn't play Switzerland. I'm not really comfortable with rather implausible Swiss expansionism and being land-locked. I need a more compelling historically plausible trajectory to tempt me. But of course, tastes differ. :)

Reminds me of a map of a "Greater Switzerland" I recently came across. Some in the "Schweizer Volkspartei" have been flirting with the idea of welcoming Baden-Württemberg (fellow Allemans) and other bordering regions into the confederation. LOL, apparently not busy enough with EU- and Minaret-bashing these days.

Personally, I wouldn't play Switzerland. I'm not really comfortable with rather implausible Swiss expansionism and being land-locked. I need a more compelling historically plausible trajectory to tempt me. But of course, tastes differ. :)

This is possible though, after Napoleon, Switzerland did not want war to happen ever again. They then became neutral and stayed that way up until now basically. But what if they liked war after Napoleon because a new leader who was as charismatic as Hitler was elected and pushed for the expansion of Switzerland. They would then want to build their forces and expand into neighboring territories. Just an idea though :p

Part Three-An Opportunity for expansion

Industrialized Switzerland continues to grow in strength. The economy is as stable as it could be and our infamy has gone down. Because of a suggestion from a reader, I take a look at the resource-rich regions of Baden. Fortunately, as you will see in a later picture, Austria is occupied in a silly war over a territory with Prussia and cannot send help to Baden, if attacked.

V2_1-1.jpg

I mobilize my reserves to prepare for the invasion of Baden and move my troops to the border.

V2_2-1.jpg

I set my goal to be the annexation of Baden, and they are only allied with Parma and Austria. With war declared I move my troops in from all sides, and they face little resistance. Still I build more troops to the maximum level my army can reach. A stalemate is reached with Parma as they can't make it into my lands with their insignificant army. Austria did not come to the aid of Baden as I suspected.

V2_3-1.jpg

I realized something as I clicked on my newly recruited troops, something very stupid of me to not have noticed before.

V2_4-1.jpg

I had Sardinia, the island! Here was my chance to build a navy and I already had the ports I needed to expand trade. I acquired this from the war with Sardinia I suppose.

V2_6-1.jpg

I expand the ports on both halves of the Island. As I check my progress in the war, I saw the reason that Austria did not come to Baden's aid. They were occupied in a war as I stated above, here is the photo that shows the war I have never seen before happening.

V2_7-1.jpg

I push upwards through Baden and reach their last two regions.

V2_8-1.jpg

As the war was raging on, I used my new Early Railroad technology and upgrade my railroads once more.

V2_9-1.jpg

I also try to help out the poor chimney sweepers.

V2_10-1.jpg

In the south the stalemate with Parma continues.

V2_11-1.jpg

The war reaches an end and the Swiss come out victorious!

V2_12-1.jpg

V2_13-1.jpg

With our newly acquired land, filled with resources, and our island with ports, the Swiss are continuing the path to becoming a great power in the world. Their newly found opposition to neutrality is paying off!

V2_MAP_SWI_184579_1.jpg

To be continued...

I'm honestly surprised Austria didn't help Baden, but I'm glad they didn't, would be a short AAR if they did lol.

I also didn't notice the Island i got from Sardinia, back in 1850 ish. I didn't notice untill 1900s that i had that bloody island. :rofl:

Good luck mate. The Baden fruit should be making some money for you.

Haha thanks, yeah your idea came in at the perfect time because Austria was losing quite bad in their war over a territory so I figured even if they did help they would be torn apart by Prussia. And I'm lucky I clicked on my troops in the top right lol to find them and there was Sardinia. I was like wow how did I not see this

Noooo

I just had a major mess up with photobucket, all my pictures got deleted. This made the new ones upload into ones that had the same adresses. You could finally see Switzerland on the map too =(. I guess I will end this AAR and do another one sometime. Unless anyone knows how to undelete things on photobucket.

I may be able to recover these. I will try.

Okay this should be up and running soon. :wacko:

Well I won't be able to recover most of the last photos, I guess up until now it will be a reading AAR. From now on I think I can still continue with the pictures for all my current readers. Sorry for the problems :(

Part 4: The Unstoppable Force

Europe is under fire. Switzerland is grabbing lands everywhere and the seemingly endless war between Austria and Prussia over Schliezen rages on. Wuttenburg to my north is facing obliteration by the hands of Prussia. I see this as an opportunity to join the war and grab Wuttenburg for myself. My infamy is very high, but France has sworn to protect me and nobody would dare anger such a mighty nation. I declare war on Wuttenburg and nobody comes to their aid. I win the opening battle.

V2_20.jpg

After the army of Wuttenburg is destroyed, I move in all my troops to occupy every part of Wuttenburg.

V2_21.jpg

It is hard to see, but Prussia is walking right through Austria.

V2_22.jpg

I win the war and annex Wuttenburg. Switzerland emerges victorious once more.

V2_23.jpg

Prussia continues to push through Austria.

V2_24.jpg

Over in Sardinia, the first ship of the Swiss navy is built.

V2_25.jpg

I spy with my little eye, SWITZERLAND. Also Prussia claims a great amount of territory from Austria.

V2_26.jpg

The elections start.

V2_27.jpg

A national decision gets rid of a Prussian core on one of my territories.

V2_28.jpg

Elections are over.

V2_29.jpg

What im producing-
V2_31.jpg

Railroads everywhere, Early railroads not experimental.

V2_32.jpg

The Swiss Navy grows larger and we jump to spot number 9 in the powers.

V2_33.jpg

I send the Confederates money because the United States has been insulting my diplomats constantly.

V2_34.jpg

Confederates arent doing so well later in the war.

V2_35.jpg

Here is the world in 1852-
V2_MAP_SWI_185248_1.jpg

Sorry this is kinda rushed, but I have been spending a while figuring out the photobucket problems. Switzerland has now become quite a great power. Will Switzerland become a Great Power though and influence nations, we will find out in the next part.

To be continued...